Browse Items (1666 total)

  • Collection: Howard Crosby Butler Archive: Syria

Benabil

BSY_PH_0001.jpg
House no. I, doorway of courtyard.

Kirk Beza

BSY_PH_0010.jpg
South wall of insula (Houses I and II).

Banakfur

BSY_PH_0100.jpg
Public building from southeast.

Maaishurin

BSY_PH_1000.jpg
Temple, from northwest.

Tell Akibrin

BSY_PH_1001.jpg
Large building of undetermined purpose, from south. Plain of Sermeda in background.

Tell Akibrin

BSY_PH_1002.jpg
Large building with coupled windows, from south.

Deraman

BSY_PH_1003.jpg
Private house.

Deraman

BSY_PH_1004.jpg
Private house facing south, from south.

Deraman

BSY_PH_1005.jpg
Private house.

Deraman

BSY_PH_1006.jpg
Private house facing south, from south.

Der Tell Adeh

BSY_PH_1007.jpg
Ruins of convent, from northeast.

Der Tell Adeh

BSY_PH_1007.1.jpg
Pier of jambstone with Syriac inscription no. 17, found near convent.

Der Tell Adeh

BSY_PH_1007.2.jpg
Fragment.

Burdj is-Seb

BSY_PH_1007.3.jpg
Lintel with Syriac inscription no. 19 (858-59 AD).

Burdj is-Seb

BSY_PH_1007.4.jpg
Tower with Greek inscription no. 1117 (572 AD).

Kfellusin

BSY_PH_1008.jpg
Tower, from west.

Kfellusin

BSY_PH_1009.jpg
Chapel, from west.

Banakfur

BSY_PH_0101.jpg
Vaulted cistern north of town.

Kfellusin

BSY_PH_1010.jpg
Chapel, north wall from north.

Kfellusin

BSY_PH_1011.jpg
House (473 and 486 AD).

Zerzita

BSY_PH_1012.jpg
Church, ruins from southwest.

Zerzita

BSY_PH_1013.jpg
Tower and porch, from southwest.

Zerzita

BSY_PH_1014.jpg
Porch, from southwest.

Zerzita

BSY_PH_1015.jpg
Portico of house (June, 539 AD), from south.

Zerzita

BSY_PH_1016.jpg
Portico of house (September, 539 AD), from south.

Zerzita

BSY_PH_1017.jpg
Portico of house.

Zerzita

BSY_PH_1018.jpg
Portico of house showing two building periods.

Katura

BSY_PH_1019.jpg
Face of natural rock ravine with carved funerary sculptures.

Ishruk

BSY_PH_0102.jpg
Church, south side with doorways and apse arch.

Katura

BSY_PH_1020.jpg
Face of natural rock ravine with carved funerary sculptures, detail.

Katura

BSY_PH_1021.jpg
Face of natural rock ravine with carved funerary sculptures, detail.

Katura

BSY_PH_1021.1.jpg
Tomb of Aemilius Reginus with bicolumnar monument, dated 195 AD.

Katura

BSY_PH_1021.2.jpg
Tomb of Titus Flavius Julianus with Greek and Latin inscription, no. 1127.

Katura

BSY_PH_1021.3.jpg
Decorated lintel in south part of town, from east.

Sitt ir-Rum

BSY_PH_1022.jpg
Tomb of Eisidotos (October, 152 AD), from north.

Sitt ir-Rum

BSY_PH_1023.jpg
Chapel, from southeast.

Refadeh

BSY_PH_1024.jpg
Tower, from southwest.

Refadeh

BSY_PH_1025.jpg
House No. I, polygonal masonry.

Refadeh

BSY_PH_1026.jpg
Portico of a house.

Refadeh

BSY_PH_1027.jpg
House No. II, west face from southwest.

Refadeh

BSY_PH_1028.jpg
House No. III (516 AD), south face from south.

Refadeh

BSY_PH_1029.jpg
House No. IV, portico.

Nuriyeh

BSY_PH_0103.jpg
Front wall of polygonal house.

Fidreh

BSY_PH_1030.jpg
Church, ruins from southwest.

Fidreh

BSY_PH_1031.jpg
Portico of house.

Fidreh

BSY_PH_1032.jpg
Portico of house (531 AD).

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1033.jpg
Great Pandocheion (east end of town), from northwest.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1034.jpg
Great Pandocheion (east end of town), from southeast.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1035.jpg
Tombs and tomb chapel, from southwest.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1036.jpg
North Church, from southeast.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1037.jpg
West Monastery, church, west facade from west.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1038.jpg
West Monastery, church, south wall from south.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1039.jpg
West Monastery, church, interior of apse from west.

Nuriyeh

BSY_PH_0104.jpg
Chapel, south portal and windows of north wall.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1040.jpg
West Monastery, campo santo (burial cloister), entrance from north.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1041.jpg
West Monastery, campo santo (burial cloister), interior from south.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1042.jpg
South Monastery, chapel, south wall from south.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1042.1.jpg
South Monastery, view from west.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1043.jpg
General view of ruins with triumphal arch at center, from northeast.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1043.1.jpg
Pandocheion (center of town), view with inscribed lintel at center. See #1043.2

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1043.2.jpg
Pandocheion (center of town), lintel with Greek inscription no. 1154 (479 AD).

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1043.3.jpg
Door lintel of a tavern with Greek inscription no. 1155 (479 AD).

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1043.4.jpg
Door lintel of a tavern with Greek inscription no. 1155 (479 AD), detail.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1043.5.jpg
Door lintel with Greek inscription.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1043.6.jpg
South Monastery, west inn, Syriac graffiti inscriptions 39 and 40 with squeeze applied.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_1043.7.jpg
Syriac graffiti inscription no. 28.

Surkanya

BSY_PH_1044.jpg
Chapel, south wall from south.

Surkanya

BSY_PH_1045.jpg
Chapel, interior of east end, from west.

Surkanya

BSY_PH_1045.1.jpg
Ornamented lintel.

Surkanya

BSY_PH_1045.2.jpg
Ornamented lintel.

Surkanya

BSY_PH_1045.3.jpg
Chapel, panel of chancel, detail.

Surkanya

BSY_PH_1045.4.jpg
House with porch bearing Greek inscription no. 1196.

Surkanya

BSY_PH_1045.5.jpg
Ornamented lintel.

Surkanya

BSY_PH_1045.6.jpg
Distant view of chapel, from east.

Surkanya

BSY_PH_1045.7.jpg
Distant view of complete house amidst the ruins.

Bazihir

BSY_PH_1045.8.jpg
Upper story of house with stone shutter and doorway with Greek inscription no. 1200.

Banastur

BSY_PH_1046.jpg
General view.

Burdj Hedar

BSY_PH_1047.jpg
Chapel, from southwest.

Burdj Hedar

BSY_PH_1048.jpg
Chapel, interior of east end from west.

Burdj Hedar

BSY_PH_1049.jpg
East Church, interior of east end from west.

Nuriyeh

BSY_PH_0105.jpg
Church, exterior of apse from southeast.

Burdj Hedar

BSY_PH_1050.jpg
West Church, interior arcades from southwest.

Burdj Hedar

BSY_PH_1051.jpg
House in northern part of town, south front from southwest.

Burdj Hedar

BSY_PH_1051.1.jpg
Sarcophagus cover on rock-cut tomb.

Burdj Hedar

BSY_PH_1051.2.jpg
Ornamented doorway.

Burdj Hedar

BSY_PH_1051.3.jpg
Section of staircase cut from a single stone.

Burdj Hedar

BSY_PH_1051.4.jpg
Doorway with vestibule, bearing Greek inscription no. 1167 (487 AD).

Kbeshin

BSY_PH_1051.5.jpg
Monogram and picture of a person.

Kefr Nabo

BSY_PH_1052.jpg
House with lintel bearing Greek inscription no. 1171 (308 AD). See #1054.3 for detail.

Kefr Nabo

BSY_PH_1053.jpg
Inn, west end from southwest.

Kefr Nabo

BSY_PH_1054.jpg
House (445 AD), west wall from west.

Kefr Nabo

BSY_PH_1054.1.jpg
Chapel, south portal with ornamented and inscribed lintel. See #1054.2 for detail.

Kefr Nabo

BSY_PH_1054.2.jpg
Chapel, lintel of south portal with ornamental disks and Syriac inscription no. 52.

Kefr Nabo

BSY_PH_1054.3.jpg
Lintel with Greek inscription no. 1171, detail.

Kefr Nabo

BSY_PH_1054.4.jpg
Oil Mill, left half of lintel with Greek inscription no. 1170.

Kefr Nabo

BSY_PH_1054.5.jpg
Oil Mill, end view of lintel which bears Greek inscription no. 1170.

Kefr Nabo

BSY_PH_1054.6.jpg
Oil Mill, cast of Greek inscription no. 1170.

Brad

BSY_PH_1055.jpg
Ancient walls of quadrated and polygonal masonry.

Brad

BSY_PH_1056.jpg
Convent southwest of town, from northeast.

Brad

BSY_PH_1057.jpg
Monumental Tomb, from southwest.

Brad

BSY_PH_1058.jpg
Public baths, from east.

Brad

BSY_PH_1059.jpg
Cathedral, west facade from west.

Maramaya

BSY_PH_0106.jpg
Church, south side.

Brad

BSY_PH_1060.jpg
Cathedral, interior of east end from west.

Brad

BSY_PH_1061.jpg
North Church (561 AD), general view from southeast.

Brad

BSY_PH_1062.jpg
Southwest Church, south wall from southwest.

Brad

BSY_PH_1063.jpg
Group of buildings in polygonal masonry, from south. See #1065-8, detail of arch (r).

Brad

BSY_PH_1064.jpg
Building in polygonal masonry (207-8 AD), from south. Inscr. 1175 on right doorway.

Brad

BSY_PH_1065.jpg
House? (496 AD), from east. Gateway at left bears Greek inscription no. 1177.

Brad

BSY_PH_1065.1.jpg
Convent southwest of town, tower.

Brad

BSY_PH_1065.2.jpg
Monolithic objects with "hooded seats," possibly parts of a press.

Brad

BSY_PH_1065.3.jpg
Monolithic objects, possibly parts of a press.

Brad

BSY_PH_1065.4.jpg
Building in polygonal masonry (207-8 AD), from south. Inscr. 1175 on right doorway.

Brad

BSY_PH_1065.5.jpg
Door lintel with Greek inscription no. 1175 (207-8 AD).

Brad

BSY_PH_1065.6.jpg
North Church, western door of south side with Greek inscription no. 1180.

Brad

BSY_PH_1065.7.jpg
North Church, lintel on south side of apse with Greek inscription no. 1178 (561 AD).

Brad

BSY_PH_1065.8.jpg
Ornamented arch keystone with Greek inscription no. 1186. See #1063, general view.

Kefr Lab

BSY_PH_1066.jpg
Chapel, from south.

Basufan

BSY_PH_1067.jpg
Church of St. Phocas, column of apse, pier-cap, and arch of prothesis.

Basufan

BSY_PH_1068.jpg
Church of St. Phocas, window in south wall and Syriac inscription no. 50.

Kalat Kalota

BSY_PH_1069.jpg
Temple-church, from southwest.

Maramaya

BSY_PH_0107.jpg
House with seats in upper portico, from west

Kalat Kalota

BSY_PH_1070.jpg
Temple-church, south wall from south.

Kalat Kalota

BSY_PH_1071.jpg
Temple-church, interior of apse from southwest. View from atop Arabic wall.

Kalat Kalota

BSY_PH_1071.1.jpg
Stone from a temple with Greek inscription no. 1193, re-built into wall of church.

Kalota

BSY_PH_1072.jpg
Distant view of ruins, from hill of Kalat Kalota at west.

Kalota

BSY_PH_1073.jpg
East Church (492 AD), west facade from southwest.

Kalota

BSY_PH_1074.jpg
East Church, interior of east end from northwest.

Kalota

BSY_PH_1075.jpg
East Church, south wall from south.

Kalota

BSY_PH_1076.jpg
West Church, south wall from south.

Kalota

BSY_PH_1077.jpg
House with unusual piers in upper story.

Kharab Shems

BSY_PH_1078.jpg
Church, west facade from west.

Kharab Shems

BSY_PH_1079.jpg
Church, from northwest.

Maramaya

BSY_PH_0108.jpg
House with seats in upper portico, from east.

Kharab Shems

BSY_PH_1080.jpg
Church, from northwest.

Kharab Shems

BSY_PH_1080.1.jpg
Church, from northwest.

Kharab Shems

BSY_PH_1080.2.jpg
Chapel, north side and apse, from northeast.

Kharab Shems

BSY_PH_1080.3.jpg
Chapel, interior of apse.

Kharab Shems

BSY_PH_1080.4.jpg
Chapel, detail of molding at spring of apse arch, south side.

Kharab Shems

BSY_PH_1080.5.jpg
Ornamented door lintel of house.

Kharab Shems

BSY_PH_1080.6.jpg
Ornamented doorway of house.

Burdjkeh

BSY_PH_1081.jpg
Tower.

Burdjkeh

BSY_PH_1082.jpg
Chapel, south side from south.

Burdjkeh

BSY_PH_1082.1.jpg
Ornamented doorway of house in polygonal masonry.

Burdjkeh

BSY_PH_1082.2.jpg
House and rock-cut chamber.

Burdjkeh

BSY_PH_1082.3.jpg
House and rock-cut chamber.

Fafirtin

BSY_PH_1083.jpg
Church, interior of apse from west.

Kefr Antin

BSY_PH_1084.jpg
Front of house.

Batuta

BSY_PH_1085.jpg
Church, south arcade of nave seen beyond the ruined exterior wall, from southwest.

Batuta

BSY_PH_1086.jpg
Chapel, porch on south side, from southwest.

Batuta

BSY_PH_1087.jpg
Colonnades of shops/residences.

Simkhar

BSY_PH_1088.jpg
General view of ruins from west.

Simkhar

BSY_PH_1089.jpg
Church, south arcade of nave from south.

Turlaha

BSY_PH_0109.jpg
Church, interior of apse showing Saracenic arches.

Simkhar

BSY_PH_1090.jpg
Church at left, chapel at right, from southwest.

Simkhar

BSY_PH_1091.jpg
Chapel, west facade from west.

Shekh Sleman

BSY_PH_1092.jpg
General view from south.

Shekh Sleman

BSY_PH_1093.jpg
Church of St. Mary, west portico from west.

Shekh Sleman

BSY_PH_1094.jpg
Church of St. Mary, west facade from northwest.

Shekh Sleman

BSY_PH_1095.jpg
Church of St. Mary, interior of east end from northwest.

Shekh Sleman

BSY_PH_1096.jpg
Church dated 602 AD, interior of east end from west.

Shekh Sleman

BSY_PH_1097.jpg
Church dated 602 AD, south portico with Greek inscription no. 1211.

Mektebeh

BSY_PH_1098.jpg
Syriac inscription no. 21, possibly a lintel, re-used in a wall.

Mektebeh

BSY_PH_1099.jpg
Lintel with Syriac inscription no. 20, re-used as a door post in modern house.

Kirk Beza

BSY_PH_0011.jpg
Front wall of residences of insula. Enclosure for stairs and fragment of portico, right.

Khirbit Hasan

BSY_PH_0110.jpg
Church, south wall with two doorways (one in use), 507 AD.

Mektebeh

BSY_PH_1100.jpg
Cast of Syriac inscription no. 19, from a lintel.

Tedif

BSY_PH_1101.jpg
Synagog of Ezra, wall in forecourt. Several Hebrew inscriptions were found here.

Tell Nebi Is Weli

BSY_PH_1102.jpg
Weli (shrine) on Tell Nebi Is. Kufic inscription frags. were recorded here by Littman.

il-Hifneh

BSY_PH_1103.1.jpg
Stone with Safaitic inscription nos. 12-18.

il-Hifneh

BSY_PH_1103.2.jpg
Stone with Safaitic inscription no. 23.

il-Hifneh

BSY_PH_1103.3.jpg
Stone with Safaitic inscription nos. 24a-c.

il-Hifneh

BSY_PH_1103.4.jpg
Stone with Safaitic inscription no. 37.

il-Hifneh

BSY_PH_1103.5.jpg
Stone with Safaitic inscription nos. 48 and 49.

il-Hifneh

BSY_PH_1103.6.jpg
Stone with Safaitic inscription no. 57.

il-Hifneh

BSY_PH_1103.7.jpg
Stone with Safaitic inscription nos. 58-67.

Kfersun

BSY_PH_1104.jpg
Court of a ruined house with olive trees growing beside the colonnade.

Khirbit Faris

BSY_PH_1105.jpg
Wall of building, exterior showing carved moldings and niche.

Khirbit Faris

BSY_PH_1106.jpg
Wall of building, interior.

Khirbit Faris

BSY_PH_1107.jpg
Tomb, showing sarcophagus elevated above tomb chamber.

Slem

BSY_PH_1108.jpg
Temple, upper part of northeast angle showing pilaster and entablature.

Kalat Ibn Man

BSY_PH_1109.jpg
Castle.

Khirbit Hasan

BSY_PH_0111.jpg
Church, doorway with Syriac inscription.

Kalat Ibn Man

BSY_PH_1110.jpg
Castle, detail of walls.

Serata

BSY_PH_1111.jpg
Ruins.

Sakhrin

BSY_PH_1112.jpg
Window with incised moldings.

Sakhrin

BSY_PH_1113.jpg
Engaged column of upper colonnade with debased Ionic capital.

Burdj id-Deruni

BSY_PH_1114.jpg
Chapel, from northwest.

il-Fuah

BSY_PH_1115.jpg
Medieval Mohammedan weli (shrine).

Kasr Allaruz

BSY_PH_1116.jpg
Temple tomb.

Jerusalem

BSY_PH_1117.jpg
Orpheus mosaic, located outside the Damascus Gate, before raising.

Jerusalem

BSY_PH_1118.jpg
Orpheus mosaic, located outside the Damascus Gate, before raising.

Jordan River

BSY_PH_1119.jpg
Lattice bridge.

Khirbit Hasan

BSY_PH_0112.jpg
Church, east end.

Howard Crosby Butler

BSY_PH_1122.jpg
Portrait of Howard Crosby Butler c. 1900 (front).

Howard Crosby Butler

BSY_PH_1123.jpg
Portrait of Howard Crosby Butler c. 1900 (profile).

Kasr il-Mudakhkhin

BSY_PH_1124.jpg
Camp, nearing the end of the 1904-05 campaign.

Camp

BSY_PH_1125.jpg
Camp, unknown location.

Muhammed and Khalil

BSY_PH_1126.jpg
Muhammed and Khalil, grooms.

Expedition members

BSY_PH_1127.jpg
Dragoman Khalil Ghandur and groom. William K. Prentice, Robert Garrett, Enno Littman, Howard Crosby Butler in front with cane.

Hasan Abu Sallam

BSY_PH_1128.jpg
Hasan Abu Sallam, the Shekh of Tarba, with his mount.

Ahmed il-Hadjiri

BSY_PH_1129.jpg
Ahmed il-Hadjiri, religious head of the Druses, with two attendants.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0113.jpg
West Church, interior from west.

Ahmed il-Hadjiri

BSY_PH_1130.jpg
Ahmed il-Hadjiri, religious head of the Druses, on horse at right.

Khalil and Muhammed

BSY_PH_1131.jpg
Khalil and Muhammed, grooms.

Enno Littman

BSY_PH_1132.jpg
Enno Littman

Butler and Muhammad

BSY_PH_1133.jpg
Butler on horseback and Muhammed, the groom.

Khan Sekhun

BSY_PH_1134.jpg
Robert Garrett on horseback.

Prentice on horseback

BSY_PH_1135.jpg
William Kelly Prentice on horseback.

Khan Shekhun

BSY_PH_1136.jpg
Robert Garrett on his horse.

Khan Shekhun

BSY_PH_1137.jpg
William Kelly Prentice on his horse.

Khan Shekhun

BSY_PH_1138.jpg
Enno Littman on his horse.

Bashmishli

BSY_PH_1139.jpg
Camp IV, Nov. 4-10 1899.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0114.jpg
West Church, exterior of east end from northeast.

Expedition members

BSY_PH_1140.jpg
Members of the expedition on horseback.

Guard

BSY_PH_1141.jpg
One of the guards, mounted.

Guard

BSY_PH_1142.jpg
One of the guards, standing with mount.

Robert Garrett

BSY_PH_1143.jpg
Robert Garrett examining a conch.

Riding competition

BSY_PH_1144.jpg
Riding competition.

Riding competition

BSY_PH_1145.jpg
Riding competition.

Sallam

BSY_PH_1146.jpg
Sallam on his horse.

Fayiz

BSY_PH_1147.jpg
Fayiz.

Huxley and Habib

BSY_PH_1149.jpg
Henry Minor Huxley and Habib.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0115.jpg
East Church, south portal.

Muhsammad

BSY_PH_1150.jpg
Muhammed.

Beast of burden

BSY_PH_1151.jpg
Beast of burden, fully laden and ready for the day's journey.

Unidentified group.

BSY_PH_1152.jpg
Unidentified group of men.

Sleman and Ali

BSY_PH_1153.jpg
Sleman and Ali.

Abu Yosif

BSY_PH_1154.jpg
Abu Yosif.

Nekula

BSY_PH_1155.jpg
Nekula.

Caravan

BSY_PH_1156.jpg
Caravan, unknown location.

Sleman

BSY_PH_1157.jpg
Sleman.

"Outrigger" basket for camel.

BSY_PH_1158.jpg
The Bedouin outfitted their camels with a framework of poles forming an "outrigger" basket.

Abu Sallam Khalil Ghandur

BSY_PH_1159.jpg
Abu Sallam Khalil Ghandur, the dragoman (interpreter and guide).

Dehes

BSY_PH_0116.jpg
Baptistery of East Church, from west.

Hasan Abu Shekh of Tarba

BSY_PH_1160.jpg
Hasan Abu Sallam, Shekh of Tarba. The Expedition visited him again in 1904.

Lunch mule

BSY_PH_1161.jpg
"Bahgl lunch" (the lunch mule).

Kalat il-Mudik

BSY_PH_1162.jpg
Camp XXVIII.

Hass

BSY_PH_1163.jpg
Group of local people near camp.

Hass

BSY_PH_1164.jpg
Camp XXIX, from northeast.

il-Barah

BSY_PH_1165.jpg
Armed guard in camp.Outside Thomas Cook tent.

Tell Djuzif

BSY_PH_1166.jpg
Donkeys.

ir-Rameh

BSY_PH_1167.jpg
Two men on horseback, near ir-Rameh, southwest of Riha.

Kiftin

BSY_PH_1168.jpg
Group pf Druse women and children.

Kiftin

BSY_PH_1169.jpg
Group pf Druse women and children.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0117.jpg
Baptistery of East Church, from southeast.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0117.1.jpg
Baptistery of East Church, lintel, cast of Syriac inscription No. 8.

Babiska

BSY_PH_1170.jpg
Doorway with unusual lintel.

Sermeda

BSY_PH_1171.jpg
Roman road between Sermeda and Kefr Kermin.

Sermeda

BSY_PH_1172.jpg
Roman road between Sermeda and Kefr Kermin.

Kefr Kermin

BSY_PH_1173.jpg
Roman road near Kefr Kermin, looking north.

Bab il-Hawa

BSY_PH_1174.jpg
Two women on a mule.

Djebel Is

BSY_PH_1175.jpg
Crossing il-Matkh "the Marsh", northeast of Djebel Is.

Djebel Is

BSY_PH_1176.jpg
Crossing il-Matkh "the Marsh", northeast of Djebel Is.

Djebel Is

BSY_PH_1177.jpg
Crossing il-Matkh "the Marsh", northeast of Djebel Is.

Menzelit il-Bakat

BSY_PH_1178.jpg
Expedition caravan stopped at a well.

Menzelit il-Bakat

BSY_PH_1179.jpg
Expedition caravan stopped at a well.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0118.jpg
Two-story portico of house facing south, near West Church.

Khanasir

BSY_PH_1180.jpg
Ancient house with modern kubbeh.

Khanasir

BSY_PH_1181.jpg
Ancient house with modern kubbeh.

Khanasir

BSY_PH_1182.jpg
Some of the many Bedouin in the region.

Khanasir

BSY_PH_1183.jpg
The camp men.

Khanasir

BSY_PH_1184.jpg
Sixteen of the camp men turning the lintel of the north gate.

Zebed

BSY_PH_1185.jpg
"Family camel" near Zebed.

Mraghah

BSY_PH_1186.jpg
Camp XLI.

Near Mraghah

BSY_PH_1187.jpg
One of the "outrigger" baskets built upon the backs of camels.

Near Mraghah

BSY_PH_1188.jpg
One of the "outrigger" baskets built upon the backs of camels.

Near Mraghah

BSY_PH_1189.jpg
Bedouin camp.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0119.jpg
Superposed doorways at center of town.

Near Isriyeh

BSY_PH_1190.jpg
Tents of the Anazeh bedouin near Isriyeh.

Lunch near Isriyeh

BSY_PH_1191.jpg
Lunch stop near Isriyeh.

Well at Isriyeh

BSY_PH_1192.jpg
Well at Isriyeh, near Camp XLII.

Lunch near Palmyra

BSY_PH_1194.jpg
Lunch stop enroute from Isriyeh to Palmyra.

Lunch near Palmyra

BSY_PH_1195.jpg
Lunch stop enroute from Isriyeh to Palmyra.

Guard on horseback

BSY_PH_1196.jpg
Enroute from Isriyeh to Palmyra: Guard.

Littman on horseback

BSY_PH_1197.jpg
Enroute from Isriyeh to Palmyra: Enno Littman.

Butler on horseback

BSY_PH_1198.jpg
Enroute from Isriyeh to Palmyra: Howard Crosby Butler.

Prentice on horseback

BSY_PH_1199.jpg
Enroute from Isriyeh to Palmyra: William Kelly Prentice.

Kirk Beza

BSY_PH_0012.jpg
House no. III, front wall of courtyard.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0120.jpg
Villa in south of town, interior of court, west side.

Garrett on horseback

BSY_PH_1200.jpg
Enroute from Isriyeh to Palmyra: Robert Garrett.

Near Palmyra

BSY_PH_1201.jpg
Near Palmyra, rain pool found after the Expedition ran out of water.

Khnefis

BSY_PH_1202.jpg
Well at Camp XLIV.S. E. of Dj. Abyad (near Palmyra)

Khnefis

BSY_PH_1203.jpg
"Packs down" at Camp XLIV.

Khnefis

BSY_PH_1204.jpg
The process of erecting a tent, Camp XLIV.S.E. Dj. Abyad.

Khnefis

BSY_PH_1205.jpg
The process of erecting a tent, Camp XLIV.

Khnefis

BSY_PH_1206.jpg
The process of erecting a tent, Camp XLIV.

Khnefis

BSY_PH_1207.jpg
The process of erecting a tent, Camp XLIV.

Palmyra

BSY_PH_1208.jpg
Abu Anton, nearing Palmyra.

Palmyra

BSY_PH_1209.jpg
Great Colonnade.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0121.jpg
Small house from north.

Palmyra

BSY_PH_1210.jpg
Great Colonnade, looking south from Camp XLV.

Palmyra

BSY_PH_1211.jpg
Tapped sulphur stream. Kalat Tudmur (Kalat Ibn Man) in distance.

Karyaten

BSY_PH_1212.jpg
Traveling the great Palmyra caravan route, southwest of Karyaten.

Khan il-Abyad

BSY_PH_1213.jpg
The team prepares a squeeze of Latin inscription no. 355.

Khan il-Abyad

BSY_PH_1214.jpg
General view of ruins.

Stream in Ras il-Ain

BSY_PH_1215.jpg
Goats beside a stream in Ras il-Ain. Ruhebeh.

Stream near Ras il-Ain

BSY_PH_1216.jpg
Goats beside a stream in Ras il-Ain, Ruhebeh.

Garrett on horseback

BSY_PH_1217.jpg
En route to Dmer, Robert Garrett on horseback.

Near Dmer

BSY_PH_1218.jpg
En route to Dmer, Camp XLIX.

Near Dmer

BSY_PH_1219.jpg
En route to Dmer, Camp XLIX.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0122.jpg
House near West Church, portico.

Dmer

BSY_PH_1220.jpg
Camp L, from southeast.

Dmer

BSY_PH_1221.jpg
Henry Minor Huxley at Camp L.

Palmyra

BSY_PH_1224.jpg
Camp XXVI near Palmyra

Palmyra

BSY_PH_1225.jpg
Camp XXVI near Palmyra

Portrait of Howard Crosby Butler, c. 1920

BSY_PH_1227.jpg
Portrait of Howard Crosby Butler c. 1920.

Unidentified expedition member.

BSY_PH_1228.jpg
Unidentified expedition member. Unknown location.

Unidentified expedition member.

BSY_PH_1229.jpg
Unidentified expedition member.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0123.jpg
Vaulted cistern.

il-Ghariyeh

BSY_PH_1230.jpg
Worker with altar.

Hasan Husain

BSY_PH_1231.jpg
Hasan Husain

Expedition members, Garrett center.

BSY_PH_1232.jpg
Expedition, Garrett center

Relief, Temple of Dushara

BSY_PH_1235.jpg
Temple of Dushara. Basalt relief with cult of Mithras.

Unidentified local

BSY_PH_1236.jpg
Unidentified.

Native attendants

BSY_PH_1237.jpg
Unidentified

Expedition members

BSY_PH_1238.jpg
Unidentified.

Expedition members.

BSY_PH_1239.jpg
Unidentified.

Dehes

BSY_PH_0124.jpg
Wall of draughted masonry.

Howard Crosby Butler plaque in Princeton chapel.

BSY_PH_1242.jpg
Butler's euology inscribed upon the wall of the Princeton Unviersity chapel.

Unidentified pile of rocks.

BSY_PH_1243.jpg
Unidentified pile of rocks.

Bashakuh

BSY_PH_0125.jpg
Small house with double colonnade, north part of town.

Bashakuh

BSY_PH_0126.jpg
Large house at east side of town, interior.

Bashakuh

BSY_PH_0127.jpg
Small square house with decorated window, north end of town.

Bashakuh

BSY_PH_0128.jpg
House with two-story colonnade, south end of town.

Bashakuh

BSY_PH_0129.jpg
Portico of house with decorated lintel.

Kirk Beza

BSY_PH_0013.jpg
House no. III, doorway of courtyard.

Silfaya

BSY_PH_0130.jpg
Large portal in center of town.

Silfaya

BSY_PH_0131.jpg
Portal of baptistery, with cuspidate outer molding.

Silfaya

BSY_PH_0132.jpg
Portico with seats in upper story.

Bamukka

BSY_PH_0133.jpg
Rock-cut tomb, gateway from south.

Bamukka

BSY_PH_0134.jpg
Rock-cut tomb, facade showing polygonal wall, from south.

Bamukka

BSY_PH_0135.jpg
Church from southwest.

Bamukka

BSY_PH_0136.jpg
Church and baptistery from east.

Bashmishli

BSY_PH_0137.jpg
Church, east end.

Bashmishli

BSY_PH_0138.jpg
Church, interior view towards apse showing chancel arch.

Bashmishli

BSY_PH_0139.jpg
Large house from west.

Kirk Beza

BSY_PH_0014.jpg
House no. III, front (east) wall.

Bashmishli

BSY_PH_0140.jpg
Baptistery dated 536 AD, west front.

Bashmishli

BSY_PH_0140.1.jpg
Small square house near church.

Babutta

BSY_PH_0141.jpg
Rock-cut tomb with built facade and roof, from north.

Burdj Bakirha

BSY_PH_0142.jpg
Gate and temple, 161 AD.

Burdj Bakirha

BSY_PH_0143.jpg
Temple from east (with Khalil sitting on column base).

Burdj Bakirha

BSY_PH_0144.jpg
Temple from southwest (with George D. Cavalcanty in breach of wall).

Burdj Bakirha

BSY_PH_0145.jpg
Temple, showing columns of facade and eagle in pediment, from west.

Burdj Bakirha

BSY_PH_0146.jpg
Gate of temenos (sacred precinct), 161 AD, from west.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0147.jpg
View of (l-r) baptistery, doorway to cloister, and east end of West Church, from east.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0148.jpg
West Church, doorway to cloister (501 AD).

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0149.jpg
West Church, baptistery and entrance to cloister.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0149.1.jpg
West Church, baptistery from northwest.

Kirk Beza

BSY_PH_0015.jpg
House no. IV.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0150.jpg
East Church, west facade, 546 AD.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0150.1.jpg
East Church, lintel of west portal with inscriptions in Syriac and Greek.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0150.2.jpg
East Church, fragment of Syriac inscription.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0150.3.jpg
East Church, capital.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0151.jpg
East Church, interior of west end.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0152.jpg
East Church, exterior of east end.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0153.jpg
House with shade-stone over doorway.

Bakirha

BSY_PH_0154.jpg
Two small house fronts with outside stairs.

Khirbit il-Khatib

BSY_PH_0155.jpg
Baptistery and church from east.

Khirbit il-Khatib

BSY_PH_0155.1.jpg
Church, northeast angle of nave.

Khirbit Tezin

BSY_PH_0156.jpg
Church, west facade, 585 AD.

Khirbit Tezin

BSY_PH_0157.jpg
Church, detail of west portal with apse arch in background.

Khirbit Tezin

BSY_PH_0158.jpg
Church, south wall from southeast.

Kasr Iblisu

BSY_PH_0159.jpg
Church, west facade (with Hassan near doorway).

Kirk Beza

BSY_PH_0016.jpg
House and winepress in southeast angle of town.

Kasr Iblisu

BSY_PH_0160.jpg
Church, interior of east end showing chancel arch.

Kasr Iblisu

BSY_PH_0161.jpg
Church from southeast.

Kasr Iblisu

BSY_PH_0161.1.jpg
West church, doorway of baptistery.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0162.jpg
Church of the Trinity (South Church), south wall.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0162.1.jpg
Church of the Trinity (South Church), east wall.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0163.jpg
Church of St. Paul and Moses (North Church), south side with two doorways.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0164.jpg
Church of St. Paul and Moses (North Church), interior view into apse, from west.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0165.jpg
Church of St. Paul and Moses (North Church), baptistery, exterior of apse.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0166.jpg
Church of St. Paul and Moses (North Church), baptistery, interior of apse.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0166.1.jpg
Church of St. Paul and Moses (North Church), baptistery, interior of apse excavated.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0167.jpg
Church of St. Paul and Moses (North Church), baptistery, exterior from northwest.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0168.jpg
Church of St. Paul and Moses (North Church), house and gateway of cloister.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0169.jpg
Church of St. Sergius (East Church), west portal with chancel arch in background.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0169.1.jpg
Church of St. Sergius (East Church), east wall exterior.

Kirk Beza

BSY_PH_0017.jpg
Ruins of building in megalithic style. With Butler's attendant, George D. Cavalcanty.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0170.jpg
Church of St. Sergius (East Church), interior of east end with baptistery at right.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0171.jpg
Polygonal house wall and arcade to west of Church of St. Paul and Moses.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.jpg
Polygonal house wall to west of Church of St. Paul and Moses, from southwest.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.01.jpg
House no. V (439 AD), from southeast.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.02.jpg
House no. XI (452 AD).

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.03.jpg
Building XV from southeast.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.04.jpg
Church of the Trinity (South Church), pier capital.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.05.jpg
House in complex XIV, detail of lintel with Greek inscription, no. 1081.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.06.jpg
House no. II, detail of lintel with Greek inscription, no. 1082.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.07.jpg
House no. XVII, detail of gateway lintel with Greek inscription, no. 1074.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.08.jpg
House no. I, two doorways with Greek-inscribed lintels, l-r no. 1084 and no. 1083.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.09.jpg
House no. XVIII, lintel with Greek inscription, no. 1089.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.11.jpg
Church of St. Paul and Moses, south side, eastern doorway, inscription no. 1076.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.12.jpg
Church of St. Paul and Moses, squeeze being made of inscription no. 1076.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.13.jpg
House no. V, lintel with Greek inscription, no. 1078.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.14.jpg
House no. X, Greek inscription on lintel, no. 1073.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.15.jpg
Church of St. Sergius (east church), Syriac graffito on exterior of east wall.

Dar Kita

BSY_PH_0172.16.jpg
Church of St. Sergius (east church), Syriac graffito on exterior of east wall, detail.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0173.jpg
Doorway of house in center of town.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0173.1.jpg
Pier of portico with Syriac graffito.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0174.jpg
West wall of house built in quadrated and polygonal styles.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0175.jpg
Church of St. Sergius (West Church), west portal with Greek inscription.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0176.jpg
Church of St. Sergius (West Church), interior of east end and sanctuary, from west.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0177.jpg
East Church, west end with arch leading into cloister.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0178.jpg
East Church, interior looking toward apse, from west.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0179.jpg
East Church, arched entrance to cloister with doorway inside and Greek insrciption.

Kfer

BSY_PH_0018.jpg
Church from south.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0180.jpg
East Church, baptistery, monumental doorway.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0180.1.jpg
East Church, baptistery, monumental doorway, cast reproduction.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0180.2.jpg
East Church, fluted capital.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0181.jpg
Bazaar in south of town with two-story portico and stone roof.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0182.jpg
Bazaar in north of town with two-story portico and stone roof, from south.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0183.jpg
Portico of stoa at center of town with Syriac inscription dated 536 AD, from south.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0184.jpg
North side of street of bazaars, seen from the upper story of the southern half.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0185.jpg
West end of large bath.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0185.1.jpg
General view of baths from southwest.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0185.2.jpg
Baths from south.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0186.jpg
Small window with colonette, west part of town.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0186.1.jpg
East Church, Greek inscription on fallen door lintel dated 390 AD, no. 1095.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0186.2.jpg
Detail of inscribed lintel from the doorway of a house, no. 66 and 1094.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0186.3.jpg
Balustrade panel in two-story stoa, detail of right side, Syriac inscription.

Babiska

BSY_PH_0186.4.jpg
Balustrade panel in two-story stoa, detail of left side, Syriac inscription.

Baudeh

BSY_PH_0187.jpg
Stoa of a bazaar.

Baudeh

BSY_PH_0188.jpg
House with colonnette in small window, west part of town.

Baudeh

BSY_PH_0189.jpg
Church, south portal with Greek inscription, 392 AD.

Kfer

BSY_PH_0019.jpg
Church, exterior of apse.

Baudeh

BSY_PH_0190.jpg
Interior of a small house showing stable in ground floor.

Baudeh

BSY_PH_0190.1.jpg
General view of some of the ruins, from west.

Ksedjbeh

BSY_PH_0191.jpg
East Church, south wall from south.

Ksedjbeh

BSY_PH_0192.jpg
East Church, east portal in south wall with Greek inscription.

Ksedjbeh

BSY_PH_0193.jpg
West Church, south wall from south.

Kasr il-Benat

BSY_PH_0194.jpg
Convent complex from southeast.

Kasr il-Benat

BSY_PH_0194.1.jpg
Syriac graffito on stone in south wall of church.

Kasr il-Benat

BSY_PH_0194.2.jpg
Tower.

Kasr il-Benat

BSY_PH_0194.3.jpg
Capital from the church.

Kasr il-Benat

BSY_PH_0195.jpg
Church, interior of apse from southwest.

Kasr il-Benat

BSY_PH_0196.jpg
Church, fallen lintel of northeast doorway.

Kasr il-Benat

BSY_PH_0197.jpg
North building (inn or dormitory) from southeast.

Kasr il-Benat

BSY_PH_0197.1.jpg
North building (inn or dormitory) from south.

Bab il-Hawa

BSY_PH_0198.jpg
Church, columns and arch of nave from south.

Bab il-Hawa

BSY_PH_0199.jpg
Church, monolithic piers in apse, east end.

Benabil

BSY_PH_0002.jpg
House no. I, west front.

Kfer

BSY_PH_0020.jpg
Church, interior of apse.

Bab il-Hawa

BSY_PH_0200.jpg
Great arch over Roman road from east.

Bab il-Hawa

BSY_PH_0200.1.jpg
Great arch over Roman road with company on horseback, from east.

Bab il-Hawa

BSY_PH_0200.2.jpg
Great arch over Roman road from west.

Sermeda

BSY_PH_0201.jpg
Bicolumnar monument (132 AD), from north.

Sermeda

BSY_PH_0202.jpg
Bicolumnar monument (132 AD), from south.

Kefr Kermin

BSY_PH_0203.jpg
Roman road north of Kefr Kermin, view from southeast.

Kefr Kermin

BSY_PH_0203.1.jpg
Expedition on the Roman road north of Kefr Kermin, view from northwest.

Dana (Southern)

BSY_PH_0204.jpg
Tomb monument with four Ionic columns.

Srir

BSY_PH_0205.jpg
Church, west facade from west.

Srir

BSY_PH_0206.jpg
Church, south side from south.

Srir

BSY_PH_0207.jpg
Church, interior of east end from west.

Serdjibleh

BSY_PH_0208.jpg
Church, west facade from west.

Serdjibleh

BSY_PH_0209.jpg
Church, interior of east end from west.

Kfer

BSY_PH_0021.jpg
Church, interior of arched doorway in south wall.

Serdjibleh

BSY_PH_0210.jpg
House no. I, portico with rectangular piers & inscription dated 471 AD, from south.

Serdjibleh

BSY_PH_0211.jpg
House no. II, two-story portico dated 470-71 AD, from south.

Serdjibleh

BSY_PH_0212.jpg
Five-story tower-house in center of town, from southwest.

Serdjibleh

BSY_PH_0213.jpg
Five-story tower-house in center of town, from west.

Serdjibleh

BSY_PH_0214.jpg
Public building in south part of town.

Kefr Hauwar

BSY_PH_0215.jpg
Church and tower from west.

Der Termanin

BSY_PH_0216.jpg
Church, remains of south wall, from southwest.

Der Termanin

BSY_PH_0217.jpg
Church, interior remains from west.

Der Termanin

BSY_PH_0218.jpg
Pandocheion (inn of the convent) from southeast.

Katura

BSY_PH_0219.jpg
Tomb of Aemilius Reginus with bicolumnar monument, dated 195 AD.

Kfer

BSY_PH_0022.jpg
Oil or wine press.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_0220.jpg
Three-story house from west.

Der Siman

BSY_PH_0220.1.jpg
Three-story house, interior from west.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0220.2.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, general view from southwest.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0221.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, facade of south wing showing main entrance.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0221.1.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, facade of south wing showing main entrance.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0222.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, courtyard and angle between south and east wings, from south.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0223.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, west side of north wing, from north.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0223.1.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, facade of north wing, from northeast.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0223.2.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, general view from tower at the north.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0224.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, exterior of east basilica apses.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0224.1.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, exterior of east basilica apses.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0225.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, interior of east basilica apses.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0226.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, north side of octagon and base of St. Simeon's Pillar.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0227.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, west and northwest sides of octagon.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0228.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, east side of octagon.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0228.1.jpg
St. Simeon Stylites, north arch of octagon looking south from the north basilica.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0229.jpg
Chapel north of St. Simeon Stylites.

Kalb Lauzeh

BSY_PH_0023.jpg
Church, west facade.

Kalat Siman

BSY_PH_0230.jpg
Triumphal arch.

Mshabbak

BSY_PH_0231.jpg
Church, west facade.

Mshabbak

BSY_PH_0232.jpg
Church, south side from southeast.

Mshabbak

BSY_PH_0233.jpg
Church, east end.

Mshabbak

BSY_PH_0234.jpg
Church, interior of apse and south side, looking east.