Raleigh C. Gildersleeve, 1896-1897 (1963)
Designed in 1896 in conjunction with the Lower Pyne building that still stands today, Upper Pyne created spaces for shops at the street level and space for undergraduate dormitories above. Architect Raleigh C. Gildersleeve’s design was inspired by sixteenth-century style houses found in Chester, England, and the design ultimately served as a cornerstone of the Princeton University-town connection. In 1963, the edifice’s position as an important piece of the Princeton puzzle had come to a close, and it was destroyed to make way for a newer business: the Princeton Bank and Trust Company.
Ned Bless '22/McKayla Tyrrell '20